Matthew Purcell (The Silicon Kid) began writing his computer advice column in The Canberra Times in 1998, at the age of 14. The column was originally published fortnightly, but its popularity quickly grew, promoting the column to weekly publication.
The Silicon Kid column can be found in Techno, which is published as part of the “The Guide” in Monday’s edition of The Canberra Times. The Kid answers all questions himself, using many different sources to comprehensively research each question he receives and provide the best information available to readers.
When not answering computer questions, Matthew can be seen orienteering through the bushland and forests in and around the ACT. During summer you might also see the Matthew running, mountain biking, and kayaking when competing in one of the many adventure races staged around Canberra.
When Matthew completed Year 12 at Canberra Grammar School in 2001 he proceeded directly to University. He has attained four tertiary (University) qualifications:
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), Australian National University (2005)
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Information Systems) Australian National University (2005)
- Bachelor of Commerce with First-Class Honours (Information Systems) Australian National University (2006)
- Honours thesis: Managerial Perceptions of IT Qualifications (a qualitative research study which investigated the value organisations place upon different IT qualifications and certifications).
- Graduate Diploma in Education in Secondary Teaching, University of Canberra (2007)
Additionally, Matthew also holds several IT certifications:
- Apple Certified Systems Administrator (ACSA)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA): Security
- FileMaker 8 Certified Developer
- ITIL Foundations of IT Service Management certificate
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- Nortel Certified Technology Specialist (NCTS)
- Novell Certified Administrator (CNA)
Matthew is currently the ICT Manager at Canberra Grammar School. He is also a secondary school teacher, teaching Commerce, HSC Software Design and Development, and the school’s Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) course. Matthew is also the Master-in-Charge and Head Coach of Orienteering and Adventure Racing sports at the school.
Matthew has received several awards throughout his academic and professional career. His most recent awards include:
- ACT Pearcey Award, Pearcey Foundation Inc. in conjunction with the Australian Computer Society and ACT Government (2008)
- Outstanding Pre-Service Teacher in Graduate Diploma of Education, Australian College of Educators (2007)
- A D Barton Prize, College of Business and Economics, Australian National University (2007)
- Honours Scholarship, College of Business and Economics, Australian National University (2006)
- Member, Golden Key International Honour Society (2005)
- Orienteering ACT Award for Services to Coaching (2004)
A copy of Matthew Purcell’s curriculum vitae is available upon request for legitimate purposes. To request a copy, please email .